This is a blog I made for my creative acts class. You're welcome, internet.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"You'd give him a flower, he'd keep it forever"

Saw Days of Heaven by myself. It was my original intention to go see Alpha Papa, the movie centered on Steve Coogan's awkwardly funny Norfolk radio man Alan Partridge, with my friend Adam for his birthday. But his family was coming up then so we knew it couldn't happen. Guess we'll be waiting another year for that one. I suppose seeing Days of Heaven has made me more cultured, however, and all around more knowledgeable about movies, which is a big hobby of mine. But I will say I wasn't really in the mood. Then again I never find myself in the mood for Terrence Malick. Having said that, this is my favorite of the two Malick films I've seen. The period drama on a love triangle (of course) set on a farm blah blah blah it's my blog and I don't have to summarize. This movie is great. It makes me want to see Tree of Life again, really. I think I have a better handle on his style after seeing it. Looked amazing. The guy who shot this also shot The Conversation. Richard "gerbil" Gere was really good. Way better than I've ever seen him actually. And I immediately got the sense that this is a story told from the younger girl's perspective, which makes the film that much better when you realize it I think. Ending is a little lame, but I don't care. Wow. Very sad. Very powerful.

Seeing it in a theatre makes everything better though. I think its the whole collective mind theory in practice. Not sure which hippie doctor book I got that one from. But the movies are a magical and amazing place. It's the only place I always want to be. I tried to sign up for volunteering at the festival way earlier, but unfortunately I did it through Temple, and like everything at Temple, it didn't work. Now I got nothing to do.

Ugh. I'm sorry. I want to write more on this film. But sometimes the more I like something the less I have to say about it. Or at least that's definitely congruent with movies I enjoy.

The whole blog thing's not for me. It's a public diary. If there are two things I dislike, it's the public and incessant monologues. That's one thing the world of twentieth century poverty might have over ours. Nobody had any time to sit and hear themselves talk.

I liked what the narrator said about the farmer. He was very lonely. I felt sorry for him. Sorry for all of them I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment